Thursday, March 1, 2007

STRENGTH, WITH THE REVISED MOON CARD IN THE TAIGA TAROT

It's been delightful to get so many enthusiastic and helpful responses to the previous post introducing my new project, The Taiga Tarot, and sharing my Moon card design.

"Taiga" are, very simply put, illustrated tanka. Tanka are five line poems. I do not claim the tanka I've been writing are traditional. It would probably be more accurate to say they are experimental, incorporating elements of concrete poetry. (To the friend who noted the similarity to concrete poems, I said maybe we need a new form: conka. Forgive me. I cannot resist a bad pun.) Click here to read my introductory post that has more information on taiga and this deck-in-progress, and to see the initial version of The Moon card. I have since revised The Moon (XVIII), and here it is:




I believe the letters stand out better in this new version. I also like the overall crispness of it. It contrasts nicely to what we think of as the unclarity of moonlight vision (intuition, etc.).

Now, to introduce Strength (VIII):




For anyone not familiar with astrology, the figure on the card is the glyph for Leo. (Leo is often attributed to Strength, and is said to rule the heart.) As with The Moon card, I woke up in the middle of the night, grabbing for my dream note pad to get down the ideas I felt coming for the Strength card. I can't say I had been dreaming about this design, but it does seem some part of me was thinking about it as I slept.

The same night I began working on Strength, I also began to hear from The Star card. In my next post I'll be sharing The Star.

I'm really enjoying this dance of manifesting what's in my heart's eye, while responding to the restrictions and the surprise gifts of the physical tools (rusty drawing skills, pens, computer program, etc.) that I have at my disposal. I welcome feedback.

* * * *


‘til next time, keep enjoying The Tarot,

Roswila

[aka: Patricia Kelly]

****If you wish to copy or use any of my writing, please email me for permission (under “View my complete profile”)**** SEE ALSO: Roswila’s Dream & Poetry Realm and Roswila's Tarot Gallery & Journal.****

No comments: